Saturday 23 January 2021

Talking about running?

 Yes that's right, running, not running an adventure... Actual running. 

I shall start with a wee bit of personal history... I used to be fat, not just a bit overweight but proper fat. To the point where it was literally crippling me. Operations on my spine, paralysis and long periods in traction etc. It wasn't until a surgeon said "Mr future old Git... Unless you sort your weight out, you will end up in a wheel chair in your thirties." 

It quite honestly scared the crap out of me. The following week I lost 11lbs, I noticed the difference straight away. I felt better, happier and looked different. I lost more, started rock climbing, lost more weight, started running and got down from 19.5 stone to 13 stone. Felt wonderful and lifted my mood hugely.

Skip a few years, things were a bit rubbish and I was going through a rough patch and getting bouts of depression. I went to the doctor and he asked if I ran at all, I said I used to. He told me the best way to beat low moods and depression without chemicals is to run and do exercise. I started running again and it worked a treat. I got massively into running, did marathons and half marathons, my week revolved around my Sunday long run. 

What on earth has this got to do with TTRPG's I hear you ask?

I can't help noticing on Twitter especially how many role-players say they have mood issues, mental health issues and especially sleep problems. 

This isn't me preaching, this is me trying to help a bit. I know it's difficult at the moment with lockdown and everything, but exercise is a massive boost to your mood, it gives you free headspace time to think about game ideas, stories, scenarios, characters. Away form a screen or a TV, which do sap energy and don't always help with the creativity. It can help you to sleep, lift the dark thoughts and leave the demons behind you. Those things that can affect your creativity can literally be left eating your dust. 

It helps me loads. I plan and think about all the things I want to do when I am out, walking or running. It also has the added benefit of improved stamina, long game sessions fueled on coffee, coke and crisps get run on pure zest and energy then. It's a much healthier way of gaming. 

Sorry if I am preaching. It's not meant that way. I am fifty in a couple of years and if I did not run or walk, I would quite honestly go bonkers. Exercise can really help improve your gaming. 


fitness
Cardio is important


No comments:

Post a Comment