Wednesday 23 December 2020

First ever time...

 The year is 1988, I was just about to turn 15 and I was just starting to get more into roleplaying. I had experienced Warhammer Fantasy Battle and I was already used to buying and painting miniatures, but I kept hearing about roleplaying games, and I wanted to find out more. 

Now, I have absolutely no idea how I found out about it, there was no social media then, it may even have been an advert in a local advertiser paper come to think about it, but anyhow, I got a telephone number for a man that was part of a roleplaying club in a slightly bigger village near where I lived. The club met on Sunday's and I was more than welcome to go along.

My dad, bless his cotton socks, was happy to take me over there on a Sunday, drop me off and then pick me up at four in the afternoon. Thus was arranged my first ever trip to a roleplaying club, with actual adults.

It met in a village hall and they had a large table ready set out with books, dice and polystyrene cups of coffee and hot chocolate. I was warmly welcomed and introduced to the rest of the group. They were playing GURPS and I was helped and guided through the really confusing process of getting a character together. I had no idea what was going on AT ALL! I just did what they told me. 

Gurps screen
GURPS DM Screen. I had no idea what was going on...


I was massively impressed, one of the chaps there had an actual chain mail pencil case. It was Awesome!

I only went a few times, I embarrassed myself badly by laughing at a totally inappropriate joke and spitting hot-chocolate over all the books and maps over the table, and I felt I could never return after that.

I moved from the area not long after anyway and found a small group called Myrddins Circle (Merlin's Circle) in the little coastal town where I now live. And that was where I truly found my roleplaying feet. I started going every Sunday to the University club at the student Uni where I my friend and other old Git the Armoured Wizard who I have stayed in contact with now for over thirty years.

I guess the point that I am trying to make is that I have never come across a more social hobby than this, the only other one that has come close was climbing which is super friendly. Roleplaying has given me confidence and some really strong long term friends, who I cherish and always will. My one regret from that period of my life is that I have no photographs of us all. 

I will have a 10" Spicy mexican Pizza and a pint of strawberry milk tonight in memory of the many happy hours spent at the Student Union Roleplaying Club. 



No comments:

Post a Comment