Tuesday 15 December 2020

Memories of lead...

 There is something that comes to mind about my early days of roleplaying and wargaming, and that is the feeling of excitement when walking into a gaming shop in the late 80's and seeing rack upon rack of blister packs of miniatures, rows of paints, display cabinets with dice in and shelves of books of rules for games I had never even heard of at that time. 

I myself was just getting into Warhammer Fantasy Battle. I had gotten a load of things to get me started, but periodically, I would venture over to my nearest big town with a shop, with my other gaming friend, and we would spend an hour or so in the shop looking at packs of miniatures. I used to look mostly at the Citadel miniature packs, but I was always drawn to the Ral Partha figures to one side of the shop. They always seemed slightly exotic, made for games I new nothing about. They had solid cast metal bases, and a fine and crisp detail that looked less cartoonlike than the citadel miniatures. 

I didn't get any for years as I was so obsessed with Games Workshop and Citadel miniatures, but when I was older and got into AD&D (2nd Edition) I returned to Ral Partha as a source of some miniatures for my adventures. 

It's been years since I painted and I kind of assumed that Ral Partha had long since ceased to be, so I was overjoyed to see they are still going! I just spent a very pleasant wee while perusing their range and I know I am going to be spending some more time and money there in the very near future. 

That thrill I felt at walking into the shop aged 14 has come back, over thirty years later.... I need to get my paints out. 


Ral Partha Trolls U18-4004 Trolls
Ral Partha Trolls... I need them.




Rich December 2020 OG&D

2 comments: